1. You think “bay” (rice) and “bey” (number three) sound exactly the same
3. You actually use your traffic signals on your motto or car
4. When you scream at pitches you didn’t even know you had every time you see a cockroach or a spider and your Cambodian friends are confused at your seemingly irrational fear
5. When you go shopping to find self-tanning lotion and all you can find is whitening lotion
6. You realize that pajamas are not just for sleeping, it can be used for sun protection and makes for very comfortable market wear
7. You are confused when the box of ingredients you can add to your pizza includes soy sauce
I’m continuing this series of “You know you’re a Western in X country when . . .” as I visit other countries over the next year. If you have any ideas, please submit them to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will post it.