Over the next few weeks I will start posting detailed costs of my time in Indonesia, Laos, Philippines, Taiwan, Cambodia and Thailand. What I spent for 6 weeks in Europe lasted me 10 months in Asia. I wasn’t on a specific budget necessarily and I didn’t hold back on anything I wanted to do including doing my diving license, mutli-day tours, and doing a motorcycling trip.
These places could be done for even cheaper than what I spent because I also treated my friends out regularly and bought extra ingredients to cook for them. My three weeks in Indonesia would have been $371 US if I didn’t do the diving license.
All of the prices will be in US dollars. At the time I was in Indonesia, the exchange rate was on average $1 US=11,500 rupiah.
- 9 days in Bali: free, at my friend’s villa in Jimbaran
- Ubud for two nights: $15.00 per person
- Lombok: $12.00 per person for three nights at Diyah Homestay guesthouse. We happened to arrive when there was a wedding going on and the owners were kind enough to share a few meals with us and invite us to the local ceremony
- One night accommodation in Yogyakarta at EduHostel: $6.00
- One night accommodation at a crappy hostel: $5.00
Diving license at Tulamben
- $400.00 for the license, two nights at the diving resort including all you can eat breakfast and dinners
Adventure and sights
- $25.00 to go river rafting 12 km through the jungle in Bali that includes an all-you-can-eat buffet
- $7.00 to watch a variety of traditional dance shows for 2 hours in Ubud’s Kelod centre
- Most of the temples and sights are about $2.00 for entrance fees and some of the best sights and unique jungle landscape has been in Bali. Often I find in Indonesia the surrounding jungle area is more beautiful than the temple or main sight itself.
Transportation and gas
- Got around with scooters and ferries. We used my friend’s scooter and I rented a scooter for four days for about $3.50 a day
- Four-hour overnight ferry ride from Bali to Lombok on scooter was about $11.00
- Every gas fill for the scooter was about $2.00
- You can get food for $0.25 when you go to the right places and many meals are $1.50 to $2.00 for a full plate of fried rice, noodles and other types of local food.
- In Skybar in Kuta, they have all you can eat for $5.00
Total spend for 3 weeks in Indonesia: $771.00