Laos was the first country I visited after living nine months in Cambodia, so I was starting fresh again in a new country. I had to learn some basics of the language, how to get around, minimize being a scam victim and connect with local people.
I spent the first two weeks in Luang Prabang then went up to Huay Xai in Norhern Laos for an overpriced ziplining tour, which pushed up my overall cost. I was lucky to be introduced to local people in Luang Prabang to explore the city, dance and enjoy food together.
All of these costs are in US dollars.
Accommodation in Luang Prabang
- 7 days accommodation at a more expensive guesthouse in Luang Prabang: $15.00
- Hostels in Luang Prabang close to the river: $7.00 per night
- Two nights in Daauw Home in Huay Xai (recommended): $7.00 a night
- Bike rentals per day: $2.00
- Small boat rides across the Mekong River: $0.50.
- Overpriced rides across the Mekong River: $2.50
- Street sandwhiches and BBQ fish: $1.00 to $2.00
- Delicious restaurant food including fish and pizza baguettes: $3.00 to 7.00
- Two nights at Elephant Village camp (I don’t recommend doing this): $120.00
- Three-day ziplining tour with The Gibbon Experience (I don’t recommend this either): $300
Total cost for 2.5 weeks in Laos: $771.00